Health Services Overview
Alamogordo Public Schools provides health care services through the use of registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, and health assistants. Our registered nurses oversee health services at multiple school locations.
Who Are APS School Nurses?
School Nurses are registered nurses licensed by the New Mexico Board of Nursing. They are experienced in pediatric, public, and mental health nursing with strong health promotion, assessment and referral skills. As specialized nursing professionals, they advocate for children’s health and safety within the educational setting. The goal of the School Nurses is to have students healthy, in school, and ready to learn.
Health Services provided by the School Nurses:
- Coordinate delivery of health-related services provided to students.
- Support educational success and reduce health-related barriers to learning.
- Provide health-related education to students and staff in individual and group settings.
- Consult with and train clinic assistants and other school personnel regarding health issues, procedures, and medication administration.
- Conduct scoliosis, vision, and hearing screenings, referrals, and follow-up for students.
- Review immunization and health records for compliance.
- Collaborate with the School Social Worker to provide community resources to students and their families.
- Conduct home visits as needed to assist families with health-related concerns.
- Participate in the development of the school district health policies and guidelines.
Meet Florence “Flo” Nightingale
Director of Health Services, Lisa Patch, introduced the city of Alamogordo to a 40-foot Winnebago-turned-mobile-nurse’s station during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic to fight coronavirus and help keep kids healthy. In a time where students could not get to nurses, the nurses figured out a way to get to students.
Dubbed Florence “Flo” Nightingale, after the godmother of modern nursing, the mobile nursing unit can be found traveling around town distributing food boxes to hungry kids and families, administering necessary vaccines, and providing other essential services to the community.
Social Worker/Family Liaison
Coordinator - Family Engagement
Specialist - Grant Administrator
Contracted Health Services
Contract Health Services
Family Support Facilitator
Contracted Svc - Health Services
Alodeah Clarice Hortilano