District Volunteers and Mentors
Make a difference in the lives of students across APS
Mentors are volunteers who change the lives of students across Alamogordo Public Schools (APS) and we offer several ways for people in the community to get involved. APS strives to have a mentor program that advances the school or district's educational priorities, goals, and mission and to support student academic achievement.
Examples of mentor opportunities in APS include:
- Assisting teachers in providing basic skills instruction and enrichment opportunities.
- Tutoring, mentoring, and providing enrichment activities to support attendance promotion, chronic absenteeism reduction, and dropout prevention.
- Joining the PTA, advisory councils, and other parent groups to promote family engagement.
- Enhancing the safety and aesthics of facilities.
Limited Contact Volunteer: A contact where the volunteer is in proximity of a district professional employee, and there is no time where the volunteer is alone with a student or students in a secluded, isolated, or in a remote area.
Note: If you are visiting the school for a short time to attend a district-sponsored event or activity you do not need to complete a volunteer application.
Substantial Contact Volunteer (Mentor): A contact where the volunteer could be in contact with a student or students alone and unsupervised for periods of time.
This volunteer contact could include, but is not limited to:
- Overnight field trips or competitions, and/or
- Providing supplemental assistance to help address student needs as directed by applicable school staff but in a manner that is not in direct or close proximity of a professional employee and/or head coach, director or advisor.
Apply to Mentor
The willingness to provide volunteer services to the Alamogordo Public Schools is supported and appreciated by the School District. Parents and community members are encouraged to act as volunteers in assisting with the educational mission within the legal framework in which Alamogordo Public Schools operates.
All volunteers/mentors that fit in the Substantial Contact category need to complete an online application.
Examples of Mentors
Examples of Subtantial Contact mentors include:
- Community Members
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- PTA Members
- Booster Club Members
- School Events
Complete your application at the beginning of the school year or as soon as you are aware of the event to avoid any delays in planned events or volunteer activities.
Please note that application processing may take up to 30 days.
Interested in Volunteering/Mentoring with APS? APPLY HERE
If you have questions or need additional information regarding mentoring please contact:
Athletic Coaching Volunteers
The willingness to provide volunteer services to the Alamogordo Public Schools Athletics program is supported and appreciated by the School District. Parents and community members are encouraged to act as volunteers in assisting with the athletic mission within the legal framework in which Alamogordo Public Schools operates. The policy requires volunteers to complete an athletic Coach Volunteer Packet. Volunteer packets are available online (Athletic Coach Volunteer Packet) or at the APS Human Resources Department.
Please Note: Volunteer athletic coaches are required by the NM Public Education Department (NMPED) to hold valid coaching licenses.
The Athletic Coach Volunteer Packet consists of the following:
- Volunteer Information Sheet
Complete, sign and date.
- Policy Forms
Read and sign APS policies:
- Code of Conduct for All Personnel,
- Drug Free Workplace,
- Reporting Child Abuse/Child Protection,
- Tobacco Use on School Premises at Public Functions, and
- School Volunteers.
- Criminal History Affidavit
Complete and sign.
- State and Federal Background Checks
Required for all “regular volunteers" through the school district.
- HB 128 Verification
Complete a list of all employers or volunteer entities where you may have worked unsupervised with children so that APS may contact them with a brief questionnaire about your work experience
For more information on applying for a coaching license through NMPED, please contact: