School Board Policy K0850: Public Gifts/ Donations to Schools
The Board has the authority to accept gifts and donations as may be made to the District or to any school in the District.
The Board reserves the right to refuse to accept any gift that does not contribute toward the achievement of the goals of this District and the ownership of which would tend to adversely affect the District.
Any gift accepted by the Board shall become the property of the District, may not be returned without the approval of the Board, and is subject to the same controls and regulations as are other properties of the District. The Board shall be responsible for the maintenance of any gift it accepts, unless otherwise stipulated.
The Board will make every effort to honor the intent of the donor in its use of the gift, but reserves the right to utilize any gift it accepts in the best interest of the educational program of the District.
In no case shall acceptance of a gift be considered to be an endorsement by the Board of a commercial product or business enterprise or institution of learning.
The Superintendent shall:
- Encourage individuals and organizations considering contributions to the schools to consult with the Superintendent on the appropriateness of any such gifts.
- Report to the Board all gifts that have been offered to the District, for their review and action.
- Acknowledge the receipt and value of any gift accepted by the District, and prepare fitting means, as appropriate, for recognizing or memorializing gifts to the District.
Gifts shall be recorded in appropriate inventory listing(s) and property records.
School Board Policy K-0861: Public Gifts/ Donations to Schools
To be acceptable, a gift must satisfy the following criteria:
- It will have a purpose consistent with those of the school.
- It will be offered by a donor acceptable to the Board.
- It will not begin a program that the Board would be unwilling to take over when the gift or grant funds are exhausted.
- It will not bring undesirable or hidden costs to the school system.
- It will place no restrictions on the school program.
- It will not imply endorsement of any business or product.
- Gifts and donations must be included in the School District’s ongoing evaluation of its compliance with Title IX and that the School District must therefore take care to maintain a balance in the benefits provided by the boys’ and girls’ programs.
- It will not be in conflict with any provision of the school policy or public law.
All gifts, grants, and bequests shall become District property and subject to policies of the District.
A donor must fully complete and submit to the Superintendent or his or her designee the Gifts and Donations Form. The receipt of the fully completed Gifts and Donations Form and the approval of the gift or donation by the Board of Education is required before the gift or donation may be accepted by the Alamogordo Public Schools.
The Gifts and Donations Form cannot be kept confidential should the donor wish to be anonymous. However, the School District will refrain from publicizing the name of donors who wish to remain anonymous.