Child and Youth Education Services - School Liaison
Student focused…Partnership Driven
USAF Connect App > 49th Wing > K-12 School Resources
CYES-School Liaison Role
The education and welfare of school-age children is a quality of life issue. Military families experience challenges with reciprocity and quality of education from location to location. School-age children are as transient as their military parents and may encounter transition and academic challenges.
The CYES-School Liaison is the central point of contact for commanders, military families, and local school systems on school-related matters. SLs network, educate, and work in partnership with local schools to address or enhance the military child's education. The SL assists commanders and Total Force families in meeting the challenging demands of the military lifestyle by developing and maintaining partnerships between parents, installation leadership, local schools, including home schools, private schools, charter schools, virtual schools, Department of Defense Education Activity and International Schools and the community. The hallmark to force retention is the expectation that families are safe and well supported. Strong families improve mission readiness. The CYES School Liaison program provides military children the opportunity to thrive academically, socially and emotionally, regardless of duty station, deployments or transition status.
Child & Youth Education Services (School Liaison) is committed to outreach, advocacy, and partnership initiatives that generate real-time solutions for military-connected students in grades Pre-Kindergarten through grade 12 as they face global educational challenges and transitions.
To deliver unparalleled educational advocacy, outreach, and partnerships for military-connected students around the globe!
- School Transition
School Liaisons support transitional issues affecting military connected students and assist in facilitating solutions.
- Deployment/Parental Absence Support
School Liaisons provide families and school personnel with resources focused on parental absence, to include the cycle of deployment and academic, social and emotional impact.
- Installation, School and Community Communication
School Liaisons are installation subject matter expert to Commander/Command Staff/parents for all local Pre-K-12 education issues regarding military child education.
- Home School Support
School Liaisons share information on homeschool issues, concerns, local policies, and regulations of state/local education agencies and connect home school families to their community.
- Community Relations, Partnerships and Outreach
School Liaisons create a network of parents, community partners, and military/civilian personnel to support installation/community and school systems.
- Academic Planning and Post-Secondary Preparations
School Liaisons leverage installation/school resources (e.g., Education and Training Flight) to provide graduating military students’ access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
- Special Education Support
School Liaisons connect families with appropriate resources needed to navigate school systems.
7 C’s of CYES
- CONNECT schools, families, and communities to meet the unique needs of PreK-12 military connected students
- CULTIVATE communication pathways between families, schools, community stakeholders and the military
- CUSTOMIZE real-time solutions for military connected students facing transitional barriers and educational gaps
- COLLABORATE with community stakeholders to build a platform for enhanced educational opportunities and partnerships
- COMPREHENSIVE professional development for educators to understand the military lifestyle
- CONSTRUCT a network of extensive resources for building resilient communities
- CREATE a system of support for military-connected students experiencing parental deployment or separation